down arrowMenu

Dean of Students

Frequently Asked Questions

What is an Administrative Hearing?

  • An Administrative Hearing is an opportunity for students to sit down and discuss the incident at hand with a student conduct administrator. These meetings usually last no longer than an hour. During the meeting the conduct administrator and student will talk about the student's alleged behavior and how it affects their current goals as a student of the University of Northern Iowa, and their future goals as an employee and citizen.

Can I be suspended for violating the Student Conduct Code?

  • Most violations of the Student Conduct Code do not result in suspension or expulsion.  However, if the alleged behavior poses a serious threat to the health or safety of any person or seriously or adversely disrupts the normal operation of the University, suspension or expulsion are possible outcomes.  Possible sanctions are generally discussed during an administrative hearing and are determined on a case by case basis.  

Will my violation(s) go on my record?

  • Other than University expulsion, revocation, or withholding of a degree, disciplinary actions will not be made part of the student's permanent academic record. However, it will become part of the student's disciplinary record. The disciplinary record is kept by the Dean of Students Office for seven years and will only be released to a third party with the expressed written consent of the student. However, in the case of alcohol or drug violations, the University may elect to inform a student's parent or legal guardian in certain situations.

What kinds of sanctions might I face for violating the Student Conduct Code?

Sanctions which may be imposed, but are not limited to:

  • University Warning: A notice in writing to the student that he or she is violating or has violated the Student Conduct Code.
  • University Probation: A written reprimand and reminder of the specific policy(s) violated. This includes the possibility of more severe sanctions in the event of another violation within the specified probation period.
  • Condition: If appropriate, the hearing officer may place a condition onto a University Warning or University Probation sanction. This may involve the completion of one or more educational activities that are sanctioned at the hearing officer's discretion.  Educational activities may include a class or workshop, reflection paper, or other activities that may provide a meaningful opportunity for student learning and reflection. 
  • Hall Transfer / Contract Cancellation: If appropriate, the hearing officer may decide to move a student or cancel their housing contract. This can happen at any time if a student is found in violation of the Student Conduct Code.


Is behavior that takes place off campus subject to the rules of the student conduct code?

  • Yes, students are responsible for adhering to the Student Conduct Code even when they are off-campus.  The Dean of Students or designee will decide whether the student conduct code will be applied to conduct occurring off campus, on a case by case basis. Generally, this decision will be based on whether or not a conduct violation seriously threatens the health or safety of any person or adversely interferes with or disrupts the educational or other functions of the University.

How do I file an appeal?

  • All decisions and avenues of appeal will be communicated to the student in writing. Appeals must be made (in writing) within five class days from receiving the outcome letter. The time for appeal may be reduced if the circumstances of the misconduct pose a continued risk or a disruption to the community.
  • Appropriate basis for appeal include:
  1. Procedures not followed
  2. Regulations not applied correctly
  3. Information no known at the time of hearing
  4. Inappropriate sanction


    What do I do if I miss a conduct hearing?

    • If a student, with notice, chooses not to attend a conduct hearing, the available information related to the charges will be heard and considered without the presence of the student. Contact the Dean of Students Office as soon as possible for more clarification on this issue.

    Will I get in trouble for drinking or doing drugs if I am seeking medical assistance for myself or a friend (What is the Good Samaritan Provision)?

    • Students who seek medical assistance for themselves or another person who is intoxicated due to alcohol and/or drugs will not be subject to university disciplinary action, except when it has been determined that another violation of university policy has occurred (for example destruction of university property; fire safety violation; physical harm to another person, etc.). This includes an alleged victim of sexual misconduct or another student who shares information as either a witness to or as a reporter of sexual misconduct as long as the report is made in good faith. In order for this policy to apply, the student must agree to complete any and all recommended educational programming or other treatment recommended by the Dean of Students or a Student Conduct Administrator.
    • For more information about the Good Samaritan Provision, look here:

     What is considered sexual assault or sexual harassment?

    Sexual Assault is a form of sexual misconduct and represents a continuum of conduct from forcible rape to nonphysical forms of pressure that compel individuals to engage in sexual activity against their will. It includes any physical contact of a sexual nature that is committed by either force or intimidation or through the use of a person's mental or physical incapacity, including incapacitation caused by the use of drugs or alcohol.
    Sexual Harassment is a form of sexual misconduct that may include unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal, written, or physical conduct of a sexual nature.
    For more information, view the Sexual Misconduct Policy