Position Title: Graduate Assistant for Military and Veteran Student Services
Reports to: Leslie Williams
Dean of Students
118 Gilchrist Hall
Cedar Falls, IA 50614
Terms of Employment:
- For the spring semester: 20 hours per week, beginning January 12, 2015 and ending May 8, 2015. Does not include the week of Spring Break.
- Full assistantship salary is $4800 per semester. Salary is prorated on a weekly basis for late start.
- Graduate Assistants may qualify for in‐state tuition and fees.
- Graduate Assistants receive University holidays and do not work during Thanksgiving Break, Spring Break, or the interims between semesters.
- For more information on the Graduate Assistantship System and procedures:
The Dean of Students Office is committed to supporting and developing a positive educational environment conducive to the success of all students. The Military and Veteran Center provides resources and assistance to all military members and their families. The graduate assistant will assist in outreach to military affiliated students, educational programming, development of student resources, and other programs and services under the direction of the Dean of Students.
- Serve as a resource to Military affiliated students on campus; regularly attend student organization meetings and relevant campus and community outreach events; maintain regular office hours; support students’ transition between/from military to civilian life.
- Assist military affiliated students in responding to concerns; make appropriate referrals to campus and community resources; make students aware of relevant policies and procedures.
- Manage and maintain the Military Culture online education program; advertise and recruit participants and respond to individuals who complete the program; maintain student and state listserv.
- Assist students in applying for Federal Tuition Assistance, State Tuition Assistance, and VA benefits.
- Update university contacts on federal and state policies regarding military affiliated students.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be a full‐time, degree‐seeking student in a UNI graduate program (postsecondary education/student affairs, counseling, women’s and gender studies, or related field).
- Must be enrolled in 9 graduate credits each semester of assistantship.
- Maintain a Plan GPA of at least 3.00. First semester graduate students must have an undergraduate GPA of at least 3.00.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and support of all students.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal and organization skills.
- Demonstrated ability to be self‐motivated and to conduct oneself in a highly professional and ethical manner.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, eLearning; knowledge of web page development is desirable.
Application Process and Deadline: To apply, email the completed Application Form for Graduate Assistantship (available at http://www.grad.uni.edu/assistantships) and your personal statement, resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Applications received by December 24 will be given preferential consideration.